During these hot summer months, who doesn’t love ice cream! We are so lucky that there are so many non-dairy ice creams on the market; however, I find it much more enjoyable creating my own flavor combinations. Now that fresh, organic berries are in season, I love making this strawberry, tofu-based ice cream! Yes, tofu! My challenge was to create a healthy, creamy dessert that also tastes amazing. This recipe is made up of simple ingredients; not only does the tofu add extra protein, but it also makes the dessert super creamy! The recipe is also sugar-free and extremely easy to make. Ice cream lovers-rejoice!
TOFU STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM
- 1 package soft tofu-drained and patted dry with a paper towel
- 1/2 cup agave
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup strawberries-hulled and left whole
- 1/2 cup non-dairy dark chocolate chips (optional)
- Diced strawberries
- Mint leaf
- Place the tofu, agave, vanilla, and strawberries into a blender, and puree until smooth. Pour mixture into an ice cream maker, and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions-about 15-20 minutes or until ice cream forms. If you choose to use the chocolate chips, stir them into the ice cream mixture at this point, and run the ice cream machine for approximately one more minute. Place the ice cream in a bowl, and freeze for at least an hour before serving. Top with more diced strawberries and a mint leaf to garnish. Delicious!