Boy, do I have a treat for you! In recognition of Earth Day when we all come together to fight for a clean environment, this year have a decadent cupcake on me. Not only are these babies delicious, but they are also healthy and look adorable all dressed up like a potted plant! They are pure and gluten-free, made with oat flour, which is my new favorite staple. In addition, the frosting is comprised primarily of tofu! Our planet needs our care and, being vegan, helps our precious earth to flourish in a big way. I assume that most of you reading my blog are aware of the negative impact that the consumption of animal protein has on our environment. However, for those of you who may just be considering a vegan lifestyle, a plant-based diet is an effective way to reduce your eco-footprint. Vegan diets produce fewer greenhouse emissions than meat-based diets. In fact, it has been scientifically proven that the livestock industry is responsible for more greenhouse gas emissions than the entire transport sector, including cars and airplanes. Raising livestock requires vast amounts of land, fuel, and water. Further, farming animals and growing their feed devastates forests, pollutes oceans, rivers, and the air, is reliant on oil and coal, and is significantly responsible for climate change. So, while you are singing the recycling song, have a treat that is good for you as well as our planet.
SPROUTED CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
Makes 18 cupcakes
- 2 cups oat flour
- 1 cup good quality cocoa powder (I use Ghirardelli unsweetened coco powder)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup agave
- 1/2 cup coffee
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, enriched coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 12 ounce package soft tofu
- 1 cup good quality cocoa powder (Again, I use Ghirardelli unsweetened coco powder)
- 3/4 cup agave
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Crushed vegan chocolate cookies (I used Fabe’s Brand) and mint for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with 18 paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until well combined. Using a small ice cream scoop, fill the paper-lined cupcake pans about 3/4 full of batter, and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 3o minutes. Let cool.
- To make the frosting, puree all of the frosting ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Refrigerate at least one hour.
- Spread the frosting on the cooled cupcakes. Mash up vegan chocolate cookies to resemble dirt, and top with a mint leaf to complete your sprouted cupcake.