Who doesn’t love a sweet potato! Sweet, savory, and nutrient-dense. And, if you cut sweet potatoes into thick slices and add a little bit of spice, you have created a delicious side dish or hearty snack. I love chili spices-smoky cumin, fiery cayenne, and aromatic paprika-so why not marinade sweet potato slices in the same seasoning? And if you’re worried about calories, don’t be. These fries are baked with just a little bit of EVOO, a necessary fat that increases beta-carotene absorption in the body. Great to munch on while watching football and I wouldn’t be surprised if the fries were even served on your Thanksgiving table.
SPICY SWEET POTATO FRIES
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic-minced
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- In a large mixing bowl, soak the sweet potatoes in cold water for at least two minutes. Remove and slice the potatoes into your preferable thickness, leaving on the skins. Return them to a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a small container, whisk together the remaining ingredients with 3 tablespoons of water. Pour the spice mixture over the potatoes and toss until well combined. Spread a single layer of fries on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, flip, and continue baking for an additional 15 minutes. Place under broiler until crisp, around 5-10 minutes, but watch closely to avoid burning