Oh, the joy of spring! When I think about the perfect Easter meal, the first thing that comes to mind is a delicious brunch filled with mimosas, fruit, salad, and a luscious, vegan quiche. About three years ago, I first made a vegan version of quiche, and instantly fell in love. Since I have never been fond of eggs, traditional quiche was not a favorite. That being said, this version is so heavenly I can guarantee that even the pickiest eater will be completely satisfied. Over the years, I have modified the recipe somewhat, and now believe that it is absolutely perfect! I love utilizing spring asparagus and pairing it with an oat flour crust. When serving special guests, I prepare the quiche in cute, single-serving tart shells, making the dish extra special. This recipe is elegant and yet quite simple to prepare-the perfect showpiece for Easter brunch.
MINI SPRING ASPARAGUS QUICHES
Makes 6 single serving tarts or 1 9-inch tart
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 6 asparagus tops- microwaved for 1 minute
- 2 bunches asparagus- bottom 2 inches removed
- 4 cloves garlic-minced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 small leeks-washed and sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme-minced
- 1 12 ounce package firm tofu
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons of Shoyu
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare 6 small tart shells by brushing them with coconut oil.
- To make the crust, combine the flour, salt, pepper, and thyme in a food processor fitted with the dough blade and pulse. Add the oil, 1tablespoon at a time, pulsing in between. Scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula and add up to 4 tablespoons cold water before giving the mixture a final spin. When ready, the dough should form pea-sized balls. Put some dough into a tart shell and press it up the ridges on the sides. Then continue by covering the flat bottom, trying to make the dough as even as possible. Repeat until all of the tart shells are covered.
- Pierce the crust with a fork to vent, and bake for 15 minutes. Set aside.
- To prepare filling, start by cutting about 3 inches off the top of 6 asparagus spears and microwave until tender-about one minute. Set aside. Trim the bottom of the remaining asparagus, discarding the tough, white ends. Cut into thin slices. In a large pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat and sauté the asparagus until warmed through-about 2 minutes. Add leeks, 2 cloves minced garlic, and thyme. Sauté until tender-about 8 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside. Blend the tofu, 2 cloves of garlic, nutritional yeast, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, Shoyu, and salt in a food processor until smooth. Combine the tofu and asparagus mixtures in a large mixing bowl. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Assemble by pouring equal amounts of the filling into each crust-filled tart shell. Place 1 microwaved asparagus tip on the top of each quiche. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes. Remove from the tart shells and present your masterpiece.