Get ready folks, because it’s almost time for summer! Summer is probably my favorite time of the year—it means basking in the sun, water fights, beach balls, campfires, laughter, and relaxation. Every summer my family and I go on vacation at the Russian River, where we float on rafts and eat wonderfully fresh seasonal foods. We usually go when vibrant, heirloom tomatoes are abundant and routinely stop at a beautiful artisan bakery in Forestville, where they have mastered the art of baking delicious, aromatic bread. Both of these ingredients have led me to create this delicious recipe for Greek salad. This isn’t your ordinary salad; it’s extremely hearty, satisfying, and will keep you full of energy after a long day basking in the sun. The large pieces of marinated tofu provide plenty of protein and I bake the olive bread croutons with whole olives that makes them divinely caramelized and raisin-like. Trust me, you will be licking your plate! I just can’t wait for the lazy days of summer, so make sure to pack this recipe with your swimsuit when you’re ready to go on vacation, or just serve it to your family and friends while you are relaxing at home.
GREEK SALAD WITH TOFU FETA
TOFU FETA INGREDIENTS:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 package firm tofu-drained and patted dry with a paper towel
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 loaf of olive bread (about 2 cups)-cubed
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives-drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups heirloom cherry tomatoes-halved
- 1 cucumber-peeled and sliced
- 1/2 red onion-thinly sliced
- First, make the tofu feta by whisking together a marinade of olive oil, water, vinegar, salt, pepper, and dried oregano. Place the tofu in a bowl with the marinade for approximately 2 hours, flipping it half way through. Reserve the marinade.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. To make the croutons, mix the cubed bread with the olive oil, seasoning, and olives in a large bowl. Place in a single layer on parchment lined baking sheet, and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the bread is golden brown.
- To assemble the salad, toss the cucumbers, tomatoes, and onion in a salad bowl. To serve, place a few slices of the tofu feta on a plate, add the tossed salad ingredients, and top with the crouton and baked olive mixture. Drizzle the tofu marinade on top to finish your salad. Happy summer!