Oh bring me some Figgy Pudding? We love the fun name and sing it every holiday season yet who really cooks the thing? Well now you can! I have always been curious about the treat but when I saw the ingredients that compose it such as cream, eggs, and loads of butter, I was left in a bit of a pickle. I started to experiment and once I knew that traditionally a figgy pudding just needs nutmeg, figs and brandy , I decided to use the base of a oatmeal cookie recipe and then top it with a brandy glaze! The trial was a success and the rum raisin ice cream was just a fun touch. I never knew that raisins would taste so delicious frozen! So have fun with this Christmasy delight and bring everyone some figgy pudding this holiday season.
FIGGY PUDDING WITH RUM RAISIN ICE CREAM
FIGGY PUDDING INGREDIENTS:
- 1 cup dried figs- quartered
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda and baking powder
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/3 cup apple sauce
- 1/2 cup walnuts- chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
RUM RAISIN ICE CREAM INGREDIENTS:
- 2 tablespoons of dark rum
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1 quart of your favorite vegan vanilla ice cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Make the ice cream by placing the raisins and rum in a microwave proof container, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave for one minute. Stir the rum raisins into the ice cream with some more rum to taste and then refreeze.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, pumpkin pie spice, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. In a smaller bowl whisk together the maple syrup, molasses, oil, and apple sauce. Then microwave the figs with a 1/2 a cup of water for 2 minutes. When cooked, add the microwaved figs and liquid with the wet ingredients and combine. Add the wet to the dry and fold in the chopped walnuts. Scoop even amounts of batter into 4 greased ramekins and bake for 20 minutes.
- While baking prepare the glaze by mixing together the glaze ingredients and microwaving it for a minute to combine.
- When the puddings are hot out of the oven pour glaze over the top and serve with ice cram! A new Christmas tradition.