Happy Valentine’s Day! For this special post, I knew I wanted to make something decedent, something delicious and, of course, something chocolaty! This is the day when the most chocolate is gifted, so I wanted to ensure that everyone got their fair shareJ The tart will impress your loved ones with its professional appearance yet, lucky for you, it’s actually pretty stress-free to make with it’s simple ingredients and minimal preparation time. An added bonus is that this scrumptious dessert can be consumed by anyone with food allergies because its gluten free, nut free and, of course, vegan.
DARK CHOCOLATE TART
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour
- 2 tablespoons coco powder (I like Dagoba)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
CHOCOLATE FILLING INGREDIENTS:
- 1 and 1/2 bags 9 oz. vegan dark chocolate chips
- 2 cups unsweetened enriched coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon agar agar flakes
- Pomegranate seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a 9 inch tart pan by brushing it with coconut oil. To make the crust, combine the flour, coco, salt and maple syrup in a food processor fitted with the dough blade and pulse. Add the oil one tablespoon at a time, pulsing in between. Scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula and add 2 tablespoons of cold water before giving the mixture a final spin. When ready, the dough should form pea-sized bits. Put the mixture into the tart shell and press the dough up the sides and in the ridges, trying to make it as even as possible.
*Tip: This part takes some time, but I found that using the bottom of a water glass helps.
- Pierce the dough with a fork or knife to vent the crust and bake for 15 minutes. Set aside.
- To make the filling, put the chocolate in a heat-proof bowl. Pour the coconut milk in a small saucepan and, once it begins to steam, add the instant coffee, vanilla, salt, maple syrup and agar agar flakes. Let the mixture heat for a few minutes until the filling is well combined and the agar agar has bloomed. Pour the hot mixture over the chocolate and let sit for a minute. Stir the filling until the chocolate has melted and it is well combined. The filling will look runny but, don’t worry, it will set! Pour the filling into the tart shell and let solidify – approximately one hour. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and share with someone you love.